|Prior Date||Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - August 9, 2002
The path to glory is rough and many gloomy hours obscure it. - Black Hawk
Source: DailyThought http://www.sperience.net/lists/signlist.html#thought
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
In the spring of 1871 a young man picked up a book and read twenty-one words that changed his life. A medical student at Montreal General Hospital, he was worried-worried about passing his final examinations, worried about where to go after graduation, how to build up a practice, how to make a living.
The twenty-one words that this young medical student read in 1871 helped him become the most famous physician of his generation. He later organized the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, received the highest medical honors of the British Empire, and was knighted by the King of England. His name was Sir William Osler, and here are the twenty-one words that he read in the spring of 1871: "Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand." These words from the pen of Thomas Carlyle helped him focus his energies on present tasks and freed him from the wearing burden of anxious care.
By Steve Lawhead
Source: These Times, Copyright (c) March 1979, Pacific Press, http://www.pacificpress.com/signs
Submitted by Dale Galusha
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
MURPHY'S LAWS FOR PARENTS
1. The tennis shoes you must replace today will go on sale next week.
2. Leakproof thermoses -- will.
3. The chances of a piece of bread falling with the grape jelly side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.
4. The garbage truck will be two doors past your house when the argument over whose day it is to take out the trash ends.
5. The shirt your child must wear today will be the only one that needs to be washed or mended.
6. Gym clothes left at school in lockers mildew at a faster rate than other clothing.
7. The item your child lost, and must have for school within the next ten seconds, will be found in the last place you look.
8. Sick children recover miraculously when the pediatrician enters the treatment room.
9. Refrigerated items, used daily, will gravitate toward the back of the refrigerator.
10. Your chances of being seen by someone you know dramatically increase if you drive your child to school in your robe and curlers.
Source: Arizona Humor, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arizona_humor/
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
Billboard on the side of the road:
"Keep your eyes on the road and stop reading these signs."
Source: Bill's Punch Line, http://www.tcmr.com/billspunchline.html
Burn your paper CD labels.
Yamaha's CRW-F1 allows you to record a full CD in under 3 minutes and burn your own text or graphics on the disc at the same time.
For the full story visit:
Source: The Pocket Newsletter, http://www.thepocket.com